Ecclestone no longer in race for Nurburgring

1,445 views

Save the Ring.

Feb.17 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is no longer a serious candidate to buy the embattled Nurburgring.

The F1 chief executive revealed last month that he has made a bid for the fabled German Grand Prix venue, amid its financial problems.

"We want to make sure there is a Formula One race in Germany every year in the future," said Ecclestone.

The 83-year-old Briton said at the time that there are "one or two other interested parties", and the Rhein newspaper now claims they are entities from Dusseldorf and the US, and a private equity firm.

Correspondent Dietmar Bruck said the parties all have until Monday to submit their final proposals, with Ecclestone apparently no longer in the running.

Meanwhile, Britain's Guardian newspaper claims the newly-retired former Mercedes boss Ross Brawn was approached to take over from Ecclestone, should the F1 chief executive lose his job amid the corruption affair.

Adding that F1 owners CVC refused to comment, correspondent Richard Williams said the approach to Brawn had been "unsuccessful".

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Article type Breaking news
Tags bernie ecclestone, nurburgring, ross brawn

User photos

Tim Holmes
F1

Tim Holmes

25 photos
EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

38 photos
Evan_DeCiren
F1

Evan_DeCiren

27 photos
jimmykwoods
F1

jimmykwoods

2 photos
nickmossdesign
F1

nickmossdesign

1 photos
EricDebris
F1

EricDebris

411 photos
hanmerdesign
F1

hanmerdesign

7 photos
darkcloud154
F1

darkcloud154

22 photos
Upload photo