Ecclestone confirms Michelin eyeing Formula One return

1,019 views

At Spa-Francorchamps rumours again surfaced regarding a possible change of a tyre supplier

Aug.25 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed reports from Spa-Francorchamps this week that Michelin wants to return to Formula One.

"They do want to get back in," the F1 chief executive is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport, "but we have had contracts with Pirelli for some time."

Ecclestone is referring to commercial arrangements that have already been made with the sport's existing supplier.

But there is no such contract between Pirelli and Formula One's governing FIA beyond 2013.

That has ramped up the pressure on the already-frustrated Italian company, who said moves to change F1's supplier now would be "farcical".

"If Michelin wanted to return why didn't they come out and say so last September?" motor sport boss Paul Hembery told the Telegraph.

He was speaking at Spa-Francorchamps, where after Friday's punctures for Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso, he had to show photographs to journalists to prove the problems had been simply caused by debris.

"We can't even get a flat tyre now?" Hembery is quoted by Autosprint.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series FORMULA 1
Drivers Fernando Alonso , Sebastian Vettel , Bernie Ecclestone
Article type Breaking news
Tags ecclestone, fia, hembery, michelin, pirelli, tyres