Ecclestone advocates hands-off approach for Todt

Bernie Ecclestone has applauded a hands-off approach for the governing FIA's new president. After Max Mosley's controversial 16-year reign, former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt took over for 2010 and has had a low-profile on Formula One matters so...

Bernie Ecclestone has applauded a hands-off approach for the governing FIA's new president.

After Max Mosley's controversial 16-year reign, former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt took over for 2010 and has had a low-profile on Formula One matters so far.

"He's got on with the other things that needed looking after," said F1 chief executive Ecclestone, after giving Todt a tour of the Korea track on a rare visit to a Grand Prix for the Frenchman.

"It's good for us and good for him I think," the Briton is quoted by the Reuters news agency.

Other media reports insist there are definite political rumblings in the background, with Mosley and Ecclestone reportedly unhappy about Todt's moves to change statutes and preparing a power coup.

"Our sources ... are close to the FIA and completely trustable," said the Italian website 422race.com.

Asked more specifically about Todt's influence so far, Ecclestone answered on Saturday: "I don't know because he's done a lot of visiting so it's difficult to know what the result is going to be."

The 79-year-old openly scolded one of Todt's chief deputies, after FIA senate president Nick Craw this week said the governing body should reinforce the 90-day inspection rule for new venues.

"When Nick Craw runs the races, he can do what he likes," said Ecclestone.

"The trouble is that people don't know what they are doing and what they are talking about half the time," he added.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Jean Todt , Bernie Ecclestone
Teams Ferrari