Doctor says Massa will not return in 2009

A doctor involved in the recovery of Felipe Massa said on Monday he believes the Brazilian will certainly not return to the cockpit of his Ferrari in 2009. Surgeon Robert Veres, who told reporters at the AEK hospital in central Budapest that the...

A doctor involved in the recovery of Felipe Massa said on Monday he believes the Brazilian will certainly not return to the cockpit of his Ferrari in 2009.

Surgeon Robert Veres, who told reporters at the AEK hospital in central Budapest that the operation on Massa's skull last Saturday saved the 28-year-old's life, was asked by media about the long-term prospects for his racing career.

"I don't know. It's too early to say anything concerning his future, regarding the race," he answered.

More positive were Rubens Barrichello and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who were at the hospital on Sunday night and Monday respectively.

Fellow Brazilian Barrichello spoke with the press as he emerged from the hospital, and revealed that he had been able to talk with Massa's doctors.

"I asked 'as someone who has no understanding of medicine, how will he be?' The doctor said 'most probably he is going to be 100 percent fine'," the Brawn driver explained.

Montezemolo, meanwhile, said that on his flight from Italy to Budapest on Monday, he recalled similarly dashing to the hospital bed of Niki Lauda in 1976, when the Austrian was read the last rites following a fiery crash.

"Thank god the situation is completely different this time," the Italian said. "Felipe is on a good way and I thank god."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Rubens Barrichello , Felipe Massa , Niki Lauda
Teams Ferrari