Court defers Van der Garde's ruling to Wednesday

An Australian court has deferred the decision whether Giedo van der Garde will be allowed to drive for the Sauber Formula One team in this weekend's Australian Grand Prix.

The Dutch driver is seeking to return to the cockpit after being dismissed by the Swiss squad last year.

His case was heard on Monday in the Supreme Court of Victoria, but the court said the decision will only be handed down on Wednesday, just two days before the start of first practice.

"Judgment reserved in F1 driver Giedo van der Garde dispute against Sauber, to Wed, 10am," said the court on its Twitter account.

Sauber had argued on Monday morning that it would be very dangerous to let van der Garde race this weekend.

"Sauber could not allow him to race... it would be reckless and dangerous to do otherwise.

"It would result in an unacceptable risk of physical harm or even death," said Sauber's lawyer Rodney Garrett.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Giedo van der Garde
Teams Sauber
Article type Breaking news
Tags court