Cosworth not yet confirming F1 return

On Friday morning, Cosworth would not confirm that the publication of the 2010 FIA entry list will cement the company's return to Formula One. It is likely that some new teams, probably USF1, Prodrive, Lola or Epsilon Euskadi, will be named on...

On Friday morning, Cosworth would not confirm that the publication of the 2010 FIA entry list will cement the company's return to Formula One.

It is likely that some new teams, probably USF1, Prodrive, Lola or Epsilon Euskadi, will be named on the list, to be published by the governing body before lunchtime.

With their official applications, the teams had to nominate an engine supplier, and as none of the current carmakers involved in F1 have confirmed their participation, it is likely they named Cosworth.

Late last year, the Northampton-based engine specialists won an FIA tender to supply a low-cost customer engine package to teams in 2010 and beyond.

But on Friday, a Cosworth spokesman told the local Northampton Chronicle: "All we can say is, we're unable to make a comment at this time."

It is believed that Cosworth's 2010 engine would be based on the V8 unit supplied to Williams in 2006.

It is not known if Prodrive listed Cosworth as its 2010 supplier, but Williams' co-owner and engineering chief Patrick Head believes the Banbury based outfit can succeed.

"They (Prodrive) are a very experienced outfit in many fields of motor sport, and if they do come in I am sure they will do a good job," he told BBC Oxford.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Patrick Head
Teams Williams