Chandhok needs cockpit before 2011 Indian GP

Karun Chandhok is excited about his home country hosting a Grand Prix next year, but first must secure a 2011 race cockpit. The Indian rookie is currently under contract to HRT, but unlikely to reappear for the struggling Spanish team in 2010...

Karun Chandhok is excited about his home country hosting a Grand Prix next year, but first must secure a 2011 race cockpit.

The Indian rookie is currently under contract to HRT, but unlikely to reappear for the struggling Spanish team in 2010 due to Sakon Yamamoto wielding more powerful sponsors.

But that could be set to change, after the FIA on Wednesday confirmed that Delhi will host its inaugural Formula One race next October.

"Almost all commercial partners involved with Formula One see India as a key market and this is a great way to bring them into our country," Chandhok is quoted by the DNA news agency.

"To be the first Indian driver on the grid at the Indian GP will be a huge thing to have on my CV and we're all working hard to secure the best option for 2011," he said.

Previously, the 26-year-old has said he is unlikely to team up with his countryman and billionaire Vijay Mallya, who heads the Force India team.

But Chandhok is now sounding more bullish, with the team's Adrian Sutil linked with a move elsewhere.

"At the moment it's still a bit early to say," remarked Chandhok to indiancarsbikes.in. "I'm still contracted to HRT and we'll see what the future holds."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Karun Chandhok , Sakon Yamamoto , Adrian Sutil
Teams Force India