Button/Brawn dispute nearing end - manager

Jenson Button's dispute with Brawn is nearing its end, the new world champion's manager Richard Goddard has revealed. The 29-year-old Briton is said to be unwilling to take the number 1 to the team's 2010 car in the absence of a substantial pay...

Jenson Button's dispute with Brawn is nearing its end, the new world champion's manager Richard Goddard has revealed.

The 29-year-old Briton is said to be unwilling to take the number 1 to the team's 2010 car in the absence of a substantial pay increase, having agreed to slash his retainer amid the management buyout last winter.

Reports of the disagreement had reportedly fuelled McLaren's interest in signing Button, but Goddard told the Mail on Sunday newspaper that he now expects a deal with Brawn to be reached within weeks.

"I understand the team are about to make us an offer and, as previously

stated, Jenson wants to stay with Brawn," he said.

The newspaper added that the offer is "close to" the amount Button is seeking: 8m pounds sterling.

Team boss Ross Brawn agrees that Button deserves a pay-rise.

"(His current) contract is not the salary of a world champion, not the salary of a team that is in a much stronger position than it was 10 months ago," he told BBC radio's Sportweek programme.

Asked if he is 100 per cent sure Button will be driving next year's Brawn, he added: "You're never 100 per cent, but I'd say 99 per cent."

Brawn said he aims to have the situation clarified by mid November.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Jenson Button , Ross Brawn , Richard Goddard
Teams McLaren