Button admits to mistakes

Jenson Button has admitted that he made some mistakes when he attempted to leave BAR for Williams and said he was misguided over legal matters. The result of the saga, which lasted from the summer to the end of the season, was that Button is contractually bound to BAR for 2005. He still maintains that there was nothing wrong with wanting to leave BAR but conceded it was not handled very well.

Jenson Button.
Photo by Honda F1 Press Office.

"Yes, I did make some mistakes," Button said in an interview with The Guardian. "I don't know the legal side of things so I just had to listen to what people had to say. I thought it was the correct thing to do, but obviously it wasn't. In my reasoning for moving I don't think I made a mistake, but in not talking to David (Richards) myself I was misguided."

Button added that the experience had taught him a lot and claimed to be happy with the outcome. "It's been great to get everything sorted out and to have it all on the table. I'm staying with BAR next year and now that the decision has been made I'm actually very happy."

Since Button's future was decided, Honda has bought a 45% stake in BAR and team principal David Richards is leaving. Whether Honda's increased interest in the team will encourage Button to stay is yet to be seen, but the Englishman is pleased about it.

"Honda having a stake in the team is the best thing for BAR," he said. "It's huge for everyone working here. It makes us very excited about the coming years."

BAR was on the test track at Barcelona last week with the '05 'Concept Car', which had a few teething troubles on its debut. Button was behind the wheel on Thursday but experienced engine problems, although the following day he managed 87 laps.

"I'm reasonably happy with the progress we have made," he said after the test. "We had a few small issues with the car, but nothing more than we expected for its first run. I'm looking forward to testing in Jerez and continuing our development for 2005."