Buemi apologises after Piquet shunt

Sebastien Buemi, the only rookie in the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix, apologised in person to Nelson Piquet after taking his Brazilian rival out of the race. Renault's Piquet, despite having only a year's more experience than the Swiss 20-year-old,...

Sebastien Buemi, the only rookie in the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix, apologised in person to Nelson Piquet after taking his Brazilian rival out of the race.

Renault's Piquet, despite having only a year's more experience than the Swiss 20-year-old, hit out at "young drivers" after being pushed into the Ste Devote barriers by the Toro Rosso.

"I went and apologised to him," Buemi revealed.

The pair were among a train of drivers being held up by the sluggish Sebastian Vettel, but Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost remarked that Buemi's approach to passing 23-year-old Piquet was not correct.

"You end up in the barriers if you don't have the discipline to wait a little bit," said Austrian Tost, who over the years has gained a reputation as one of the toughest bosses in the sport.

Buemi's teammate Sebastien Bourdais had been on the working end of Tost's mood after the Barcelona tangle two weeks ago, but on Sunday it was the Frenchman who was delivering a point for the Faenza team.

Tost said the result was "very important" for Bourdais, and moved to quash speculation that the 30-year-old might be ousted soon by noting that Sunday was good for Bourdais' confidence going into "the next few races".

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Nelson Piquet , Sébastien Bourdais , Sebastian Vettel , Sébastien Buemi
Teams Toro Rosso