British GP Saturday Jaguar notes

Season best for Herbert... ...but yellow flags spoil Johnny from showing his true potential Herbert: "I got the timing right, but the traffic was wrong..." Johnny Herbert achieved his best qualifying position of the season with 14th...

Season best for Herbert... ...but yellow flags spoil Johnny from showing his true potential Herbert: "I got the timing right, but the traffic was wrong..." Johnny Herbert achieved his best qualifying position of the season with 14th place at the British Grand Prix. Despite not getting any laps in during the brief dry session on Friday morning, Johnny was only five places behind team-mate Eddie Irvine, and felt he could have done ever better.

"I think I got the timing right, but the traffic wrong. Mika Hakkinen had finished his lap and he eased off, and made my line a bit tight through the last part of Becketts. So I lost out a bit there. And I had a small issue with the engine. It was just a bit too 'pushy', so I was a little bit untidy whenever I hit a damp patch. Then on the next lap there were yellows for an Arrows and a Jordan, so I couldn't go quicker on that one."

Johnny is no longer looking forward to a wet race, as he wasn't happy with the car when the track was at its wettest.

"I was a bit disappointed this morning, because we were miles off, whereas in testing we were quite good. We've heard there’s 5 per cent chance of rain, but I'm sure it will end up being 95 per cent by the end of the day! So then we'll have to see. I'm surprised where we are because we didn't do any testing in the dry at all."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Eddie Irvine , Johnny Herbert , Mika Hakkinen
Teams Jordan