Silverstone crowd re-writes history as Lewis claims pole for British Grand Prix Silverstone confirmed on Saturday (7 July) that British Grand Prix fans have re-written the record books as Lewis mania officially hit the Northamptonshire circuit.
Silverstone crowd re-writes history as Lewis claims pole for British Grand Prix
Silverstone confirmed on Saturday (7 July) that British Grand Prix fans have re-written the record books as Lewis mania officially hit the Northamptonshire circuit. Shortly after Britain's Lewis Hamilton wowed the home crowd by qualifying on Pole Position for Sunday's British Grand Prix, circuit bosses announced a record Saturday crowd of 80,000, which is incredibly 2,000 higher than the race day crowd in 2006. 78,000 fans enjoyed the Sunday of the British Grand Prix in 2006, but the draw of championship leader Hamilton has had a dramatic impact on the sport's passionate fans. Richard Phillips,
Managing Director of Silverstone Circuits Limited, commented: "The crowd for today's qualifying was higher than last year's race day -- it's unbelievable. We expected the Hamilton effect to have an impact on this year's crowd, but to get the equivalent of a race day crowd on a Saturday is unprecedented for the British Grand Prix."
"The sun was shining, the grandstands were full and Lewis treated everyone watching to a spectacular qualifying session. The reaction from the fans as he crossed the line was fantastic I've never seen anything like it. If he, and the three other British drivers, are able to produce anything like that again tomorrow, the crowd is in for a real treat."
Phillips was also keen to reiterate the circuit's advice to fans travelling to the British Grand Prix on Sunday, "A combination of the volume of fans, increased security measures and wet weather contingency plans resulted in some delays for fans getting into the circuit today (Saturday). We have managed to keep the traffic moving and would like to thank the fans, once again, for their patience and understanding."
"We would, however, ask people coming on Sunday to heed the following advice:
-Please allow extra time for entry to the circuit and be prepared for minor disruptions.
- Please do not arrive at the circuit unless you have BOTH a car park pass and an event ticket.
- Spectators will not be able to park at the circuit with a Park and Ride pass. If you have a Park and Ride Pass it is only valid for the Park and Ride service. This will not entitle you to park at the venue.
- For traffic and weather updates, as well as event news, please tune into Silverstone Radio which is broadcast on 87.7 FM, 24 hours a day from 10:00hrs Thursday to 20:00hrs on Sunday.
- Please use Public Transport where possible -- Megabus are operating a coach service from Milton Keynes Central train station; Stagecoach a service from Northampton train station.
- If feasible, please share a car with friends/neighbours who may be travelling from the same area."