After Opel and Audi, Sunday testing at the Automotodrom Brno saw Mercedes take its turn to top the times, on the last day of the common test. In the C-Class, Christijan Albers set a best of 1:53.648, two tenths better than Opel's Laurent Aiello ...
After Opel and Audi, Sunday testing at the Automotodrom Brno saw Mercedes take its turn to top the times, on the last day of the common test. In the C-Class, Christijan Albers set a best of 1:53.648, two tenths better than Opel's Laurent Aiello yesterday. Jean Alesi drove the second C-Class, ninth fastest, and Mercedes also had two year old CLKs in action. Markus Winkelhock was 10th and Jarek Janis 11th.
"With my engineer and AMG technical chief Gerhard Unger I found a good set up," said Albers. "We worked well but we've not yet reached the limits. There is still potential in the AMG Mercedes C-Class."
"We can't read too much into the results of the test here at Brno. Where we stand we will only find out at Hockenheim. In any case, I'm happy with the test and glad I could drive so many laps. I'm really looking forward to the start of the season in two weeks."
Second fastest was the Opel Vectra of Marcel Fässler (OPC Team Phoenix), just under four tenths behind Albers, the first of four Opels on track. Peter Dumbreck (OPC Team Phoenix) was third on the time sheet, Timo Scheider (OPC Team Holzer) was sixth and Manuel Reuter (OPC Team Holzer) was eighth of the 11 drivers present.
"I'm happy with the Brno test," said Fässler. "We did a lot of work with the Opel Vectra GTS V8 and gathered some valuable informtion, such as how the car reacts to changes."
Martin Tomczyk was the best Audi A4 of the day in fourth, followed Frank Biela. Christian Abt was the third A4 in seventh. "The conditions changed very quickly," said Tomczyk. "I didn't do quite so well, yesterday it was better."
The first race of the DTM season is at Hockenheim on April 18th.
Sunday test times
1. Christijan Albers - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:53.648
2. Marcel Fässler - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.269
3. Peter Dumbreck - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.469
4. Martin Tomczyk - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.543
5. Frank Biela - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.666
6. Timo Scheider - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.887
7. Christian Abt - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.906
8. Manuel Reuter - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.974
9. Jean Alesi - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:54.977
10. Markus Winkelhock - AMG-Mercedes CLK - 1:55.797
11. Jarek Janis - AMG-Mercedes CLK - 1:55.853