Formula DRIFT Round 2: Road to the Championship results.
Long Beach, Calif. – Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro entered Road Atlanta for Round 2: Road to the Championship. Vaughn Gittin in the Monster Energy / Nitto Ford Mustang takes the victory moving him into second place in the championship standings.
Round 2: Road to the Championship marked the eleventh visit to Road Atlanta. The thousands of fans in attendance witnessed an action packed event weekend.
“It’s wonderful to see the growth in attendance each year at Road Atlanta, where we held our first Formula DRIFT event eleven years ago,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The fans of the South are so passionate for the sport and we love coming to this venue.”
Vaughn Gittin fought his way to the top of the podium through tough competition to take his first victory of the season and move into second place in the point standings. Gittin matched up against Fredric Aasbo in the Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC in the finals. After a tightly fought battle Gittin was awarded the win. Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z rounded out the podium in third place to remain in first place in the championship.
“Tonight my team and I were truly one. We communicated and worked super hard,” said Vaughn Gittin, winner of Round 2: Road to the Championship. “These were some of the most hard fought battles that I remember ever having and it says a lot about our sport, where we are going and what we are doing. And I’m just super proud to be standing on the top step.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT season continues with Round 3 on May 30-31 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After Two Rounds
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 173.00 Points
2. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 145.50 Points
3. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 137.00 Points
4. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 135.50 Points
5. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 103.50 Points
6. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 102.00 Points
7. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 93.00 Points
8. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 91.50 Points
9. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 84.50 Points
10. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300 83.00 Points
11. Gushi, Ken GReddy Performance X Scion Racing Drift FR-S V2 70.00 Points
12. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 70.00 Points
13. Saito, Daigo Achilles Radial Lexus SC430 68.50 Points
14. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro 61.50 Points
15. DeNofa, Chelsea BC Racing Nitto Tire BMW 3-Series 57.00 Points
16. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 55.50 Points
Round 2: Road to the Championship Event Results
1. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR Winner
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 2nd Place
3. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Two Rounds
1. Ford 249.00 Points
2. Scion 224.50 Points
3. Nissan 209.50 Points
4. Lexus 151.50 Points
5. BMW 148.50 Points
Tire Championship Standings After Two Rounds
1. Hankook 310.00 Points
2. Nitto 247.50 Points
3. Achilles 218.50 Points
4. Falken 188.00 Points
5. Yokohama 109.00 Points