The 11th stage of the recent Rally Dakar had been announced by the organisers as the toughest of the race. In fact, Thursday´s proceedings from Antofagasta to El Salvador offered everything that makes this sport so unique.
Nevertheless major changes in the classification didn´t happen. All riders coming this far in the Dakar were ready for the difficulties. The Speedbrain Rally Team kept approaching the stage by acting steady and concentrated. "Chavo" Salvatierra delievered a cautious performance and maintained his pace all throughout.
According to the motto "ride smart not hard" neither Salvatierra nor or Pedro Oliviera made notable mistakes. The trio consolidated their positions in the overall ranking.
The Speedbrain 450 Rally proved to be the right weapon for today´s enormous task. The bike worked flawlessly and despite the mammoth length of the stage no mechanical gremlins occured.
"Chavo" Salvatierra: "Another good day. It was very long indeed and pretty exhausting. We remain in good spirits though with two days left. Obviously we are looking forward to finish our Dakar adventure successfully."
Provisional result - Dakar 2014, Stage 11:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 06:36:08
2. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:02:51
3. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:05:28
4. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +00:05:53
5. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:08:12
6. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:09:23
7. Juan Pedrero Garcia (ESP, Sherco) +00:09:50
8. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +00:13:25
9. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +00:14:40
10. Ivan Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:14:47
Provisional overall standings:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 48:24:41 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:52:36
3. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +02:07:56
4. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +02:21:40
5. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:30:35
6. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +02:31:18
7. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +02:43:55
8. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +03:24:35
9. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +03:46:32
10 David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +04:07:56
Speedbrain Rally Team