Joan Barreda and his machine are in perfect shape and he is eager to attack the overall leader during the second week.
Today was the last stage before tomorrow´s rest day in Salta, marking the half-way point after one week at the Dakar 2014. Joan Barreda did a brilliant job, winning two stages and keeping the overall lead for the first four days.
Joan Barreda: "Today was a rather technical stage on hard and stoney tracks, and quite dangerous especially as I had to pass several riders starting from 13th position in the dust, so I took it easy not risking too much. I am very happy to arrive here at the rest day bivouac in Salta in perfect shape. I´m in a very good position to attack during the second week. I enjoyed the race very much until now and I know I have one week more where I can fight everyday for the missing minutes to take back the overall lead. My bike works great, my team did a perfect job, and I am looking forward to ´put the hammer´ down."
Wolfgang Fischer, Team Manager: "We are very excited about Joan´s great performance. To arrive here in Salta second overall with everything ready to take on the fight in the second week is a great satisfaction. It was a very difficult and demanding race so far, and many riders lost a lot of time or are out of the race already. I am very sorry for what happened to Paulo Goncalves yesterday, he was working very hard and deserved a good result here, but this is part of the Dakar. We are pleased that he and everyone in the team is healthy and hope to arrive well in one week in Valparaiso."
Provisional result - Dakar 2014, Stage 6:
1. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) 04:21:34 hrs
2. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:01:15
3. Michael Metge (FRA, Yamaha) +00:01:49
4. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:02:22
5. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:02:55
6. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:04:21
7. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +00:07:46
8. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +00:08:12
9. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +00:10:26
10. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +00:11:13
Provisional overall standings:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 23:08:00 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:42:17
3. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) +01:00:58
4. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +01:08:09
5. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +01:33:28
6. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +01:43:08
7. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +01:49:59
8. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:01:24
9. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +02:12:05
10. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +02:17:26