Joan Barreda still managed to finish third and defend is overall lead.
Today´s 358 km offered a really fast piste, a mix of technical tracks and off-track navigation in the sand dunes. Joan Barreda had the difficult task to open the track, after his maiden Dakar victory for Honda at Sunday´s opening stage.
Joan Barreda: "It was a long and hard stage, with fast tracks at the beginning. I fully concentrated on the off-track navigation through a 50 km dune section at the last third of the stage. I could manage to build up a gap on my rivals, but a bull decided to run in my way at high speed with 60 km before the finish.
I braked hard and had trouble to avoid a crash. I still got in touch with the animal and the impact destroyed my roadbook system. By ´manual´ navigation, I made it to the finish without losing too much time, and I am happy to finish inside the top three and keep the overall lead."
Paulo Goncalves: "Today I had a very good chance to attack and used my starting position. The first part of the stage went quite well. In the dune section I suffered some problems with my bike, caused by a vapor lock, and I lost some ground. Anyway, the overall position is very good after two days into the race, and the time differences are still small. I will remain concentrated and attack again tomorrow."
Provisional result - Dakar 2014, Stage 2:
1. Sam Sunderland (GBR, Honda) 3:42:10 hrs
2. Francisco Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:00:39
3. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:02:00
4. Ruben Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:04:07
5. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) +00:05:51
6. Ben Grabham (AUS, KTM) +00:07:15
7. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +00:07:27
8. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Honda) +00:07:45
9. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:08:23
10. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:08:43
Overall Standings after Stage 2:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) 06:09:41 hrs
2. Francisco Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:02:03
3. Sam Sunderland (GBR, Honda) +00:02:33
4. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) +00:05:47
5. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:07:00
6. Ruben Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:07:18
7. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Honda) +00:08:10
8. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:08:23
9. Ben Grabham (AUS, KTM) +00:10:05
10. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +00:10:59