Picotte on Mosport pole BOWMANVILLE, ON - Pascal Picotte grabbed pole position for the fourth and fifth rounds of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship at Mosport International Raceway Friday. The St-Cecile de Milton, QC racer took his...
Picotte on Mosport pole
BOWMANVILLE, ON - Pascal Picotte grabbed pole position for the fourth and fifth rounds of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship at Mosport International Raceway Friday.
The St-Cecile de Milton, QC racer took his Picotte Racing Yamaha YZF-R1 around the 2.46-mile Mosport road course in 1:22.436 during qualifying for the Miller Genuine Draft presents the Chevy Trucks Mosport Double Header.
Francis Martin of Rock Forest, QC will start second in each race of the Superbike doubleheader after setting a time of 1:22.659 on his Coors Light Racing/Blackfoot Suzuki GSX-R1000. Teammate Clint McBain of Calgary was third fastest at 1:22.733 on his Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Parts Canada Superbike Championship points leader Jean-Francois Cyr of Joliette, QC completes the front row for the doubleheader after recording a 1:22.889 on his Michelin Yamaha YZF-R1.
Picotte actually finished qualifying third in the ranking behind Frank Trombino of Kleinburg, ON and Chardon, OH racer Tom Kipp. But Trombino's Brooklin Yamaha YZF-R1 and the Canadian Kawasaki Motors Kawasaki ZX-7RR of Kipp exceeded the class 155 horsepower limit and were penalized.
As a result Picotte claimed the $500 MPM/Array Pole Award and four points toward the Parts Canada Superbike Championship.
"I don't like to do it this way but I'll take it," said Picotte after learning of the penalties to Trombino and Kipp. "This is good for Yamaha and good for the championship. These two races are going to be interesting."
The first of this weekend's two Parts Canada Superbike feature events goes Saturday afternoon at 3:15 p.m. The second race is scheduled for Sunday afternoon.
Picotte jumped ahead of the Suzukis of Martin and McBain in the final five minutes of the Superbike qualifying session.
A crash by Kevin Lacombe with just under five minutes left brought out a red flag, and set-up a final shootout for the top qualifying spot. Picotte was the only one of the frontrunners to improve his time, however.
"Just before the red flag came out I had a good lap and I was working on a better one when I saw the red," said Picotte, who became the fourth different pole qualifier of the season. "I thought the session was over but I got another chance."
Friday's action also included practice for the Hindle Exhaust Pro 600 Sport Bike and International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW Amateur 600 Sport Bike national support classes.
Cyr paced the Pro 600 Sport Bike category with a time of 1:25.237 on his Michelin Yamaha YZF-R6. Bill Card of Wellesley, ON led Amateur 600 Sport Bike at 1:28.012 on a Honda CBR600RR.
Qualifying for the Hindle Exhaust Pro 600 Sport Bike and International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW Amateur 600 Sport Bike classes will also run Saturday afternoon.
This weekend's event will be televised on TSN in two parts. The first show will air on Saturday, Aug. 9 at 12:30 p.m. EDT with the second on Sunday, Aug. 10, also at 12:30 p.m. Mosport action will also be shown later this year on Quebec's RDS and across Canada on the Outdoor Life Network.
For more series information, visit www.cdnsuperbike.com
Results Friday from qualifying for the fourth and fifth rounds of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship at Mosport International Raceway in Bowmanville, ON, showing qualifying position, rider name, hometown, type of motorcycle and qualifying time:
1.Pascal Picotte, St-Cecile de Milton, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:22.436
2. Francis Martin, Rock Forest, QC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:22.659
3. Clint McBain, Calgary, AB, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:22.733
4. Jean-Francois Cyr, Joliette, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:22.889
5. Kevin Lacombe, Granby, QC, Honda RC51, 1:22.974
6. Jeff Williams, Harrowsmith, ON, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:23.161
7. Michael Taylor, Toronto, ON, Honda RC51, 1:23.223
8. Steve Crevier, Maple Ridge, BC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:23.435; 9. Darryn Wilbur, Maple, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:24.039
10. Andrew Nelson, Kars, ON, Honda CBR954RR, 1:24.421
11. Benoit Pilon, St-Jerome, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:24.590
12. Michael Leon, Montreal, QC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:25.698
13. Chris Peris, Calgary, AB, Honda CBR600RR, 1:25.808
14. Brian Nielsen, Edmonton, AB, 1:25.901
15. Matthew McBride, Toronto, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6R, 1:25.925
16. John Brundl, Toronto, ON, Honda CBR954RR, 1:26.953
17. Bruce McDonald, Mt. Albert, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:27.143
18. Joel McDonald, North York, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:27.261
19. Owen Weichel, Toronto, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:27.679
20. Barry French, Brampton, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:29.147
21. Chris Murray-Audain, Scarborough, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:29.242
22. Darren Womack, Windsor, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6RR, 1:29.493 23. Guy Tomlinson, Calgary, AB, Kawasaki ZX-6RR, 1:30.667
Did Not Start - Dan Durkovic, Ottawa, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1
Frank Trombino, Kleinburg, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, Penalized five positions
due to 1 hp over on dyno
Tom Kipp, Chardon, OH, Kawasaki ZX-7RR, Disqualified from Qualification due to 3.9 hp over on dyno
Larry Orde, Peterborough, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, Disqualified from Qualification due to leaving Pit Lane during Qualification