Nate Brown Wins Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup at San Diego's Bayfair Villwock and Miss Budweiser Secure Championship (San Diego, Calif.) -- Nate Brown, Preston, Wash., piloted Miss Elam Plus to victory today at the Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup, part of...
Nate Brown Wins Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup at San Diego's Bayfair Villwock and Miss Budweiser Secure Championship
(San Diego, Calif.) -- Nate Brown, Preston, Wash., piloted Miss Elam Plus to victory today at the Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup, part of San Diego Bayfair's World Series of Powerboat Racing, the last race of the Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series presented by Laughlin. The win marks Brown's second consecutive victory of the season as well as his second career Unlimited win.
"This boat can really fly," said Brown. "I am so excited both for myself and this team. We have spent countless hours working on this boat and our hard work and dedication once again was proven today. I wish the season did not have to end today because we are on such a roll. We will just have to keep this momentum going for next year and hopefully we will challenge for the championship. This new boat is two for two, lets keep that streak alive next year."
Dave Villwock took runner-up honors aboard Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser and the APBA Gold Cup winner, Michael Hanson in the Sun Harbor Mortgage finished third.
Mike Weber, Miss EMCOR, finished fourth and Jimmy King, Llumar Window Film, finished fifth.
"It was with heavy hearts that we raced this weekend," said Gary Garbrecht, President of HYDRO-PROP. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost loved ones in the tragic events that took place last week. This was not the way we hoped to end a great season but we all pulled together and finished the season on the water."
* Miss Budweiser Crowned Champion Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser wrapped up the Unlimited Hydroplane World Championship today at San Diego. Little has now secured an unprecedented 21 championships in over 39 years of competition.
Dave Villwock, who pilots Miss Budweiser, also took top honors and won his fifth O'Doul's National High Points Driver's Championship. Villwock has won four consecutive driver's championships and five in the last six years.
"Dave Villwock and Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser team have once again proven their skill, their experience and their depth," continued Garbrecht. "They have met all of the competition and all of the challenges. They have been equal to every test. We are proud to recognize them as our 2001 series champions."
* O'Doul's National High Points Championship With today's results from San Diego, the final top five for the O'Doul's National High Points Championship are as follows: Dave Villwock (896 points), Mark Weber (675 points), Greg Hopp (572 points), Michael Hanson (550 points) and Steve David (518 points).
* Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup Results:
1. U-16 Miss Elam Plus, Nate Brown
2. U-1 Miss Budweiser, Dave Villwock
3. U-9 Sun Harbor Mortgage, Michael Hanson
4. U-15 Miss EMCOR, Mike Weber
5. U-8 Llumar Window Film, Jimmy King
6. U-25 Silver Dollar Casinos, Dr. Ken Muscatel
7. U-10 Miss EMCOR, Mark Weber
8. U-99 Miss Znetix II, Terry Troxell
9. U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David
10. U-2 Miss Trendwest, Scott Pierce
11. U-100 Miss Znetix I, Greg Hopp
12. U-3 Vacationville.com, Mitch Evans
The Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup will be televised on ESPN2 on Saturday, October 13 at 5:00 PM (EDT).
Headquartered in Lake Hamilton, Fla., HYDRO-PROP combines Unlimited Hydroplanes, the biggest, fastest racing boats in the world, with Formula One, the most versatile, fastest accelerating and fastest turning boats in the world. HYDRO-PROP events are held throughout North America and are televised during prime time on ESPN2. For more information on HYDRO-PROP, visit www.hydroprop.com.