2002 Avon Tyres British Formula Three Championship Round 10, Croft, North Yorkshire, May 25th/26th Race Report - Round 10: Weather: Horrible. During the afternoon, the sun came out, the clouds that had soaked the area overnight cleared away...
2002 Avon Tyres British Formula Three Championship
Round 10, Croft, North Yorkshire, May 25th/26th
Race Report - Round 10:
During the afternoon, the sun came out, the clouds that had soaked the area overnight cleared away and people could be seen looking for places to picnic. And then, literally out of a clear blue sky, right in the middle of the GT race, it all changed. A flash of lightning, a tremendous crash of thunder and within minutes the place was awash. After flagging the GT race early, the organisers inspected the track once or twice, abandoned the scheduled TVR Tuscan race, and then waited to see if it might still be possible to run the second of the day's F3 races.
The skies began to clear again, but the standing water at Clervaux was a problem. Drivers kicked their heels in garages, and wandered out to stare moodily at the sky, before mooching back into their garages. Eventually it was decided that the penultimate race of the day, for Minis, would be run, there would then be yet another track inspection and a decision would finally be taken. The teams packed away as much as they could and waited some more. The theory was that the minis would clear some of the remaining water and then we could run. Except that the Minis deposited oil all over an already slippery track, and anyway there was now the risk of running past the 18.30 curfew time (and they had already had to run over their allotted time on Saturday). James Courtney and Bruce Jouanny jumped into the Course Car and went out on an inspection lap; when they came back they were not at all happy with what they had found out there.
And so the race was finally cancelled due to excessive and potentially lethal amounts of oil and water on the track. This race will hopefully now be rescheduled at some future date though it is hard to say when just now. Silverstone next weekend is out of the question because it's a three-day meeting jointly run with TOCA. Castle Combe is too small for a joint Scholarship/Championship Class race to be run (and it should be run exactly as they qualified on Saturday, and using the tyres they used for that session), so there are complications in finding a new date. Rockingham may be a possibility, but that would be a tough call. Watch this space.
Next Rounds: Rounds 11 and 12 - Silverstone, Northamptonshire, June 1st/2nd/3rd.