WORLD'S TALLEST BALLOON ENTERS IMS CENTENNIAL ERA BALLOON FEST INDIANAPOLIS, Thursday, April 9, 2009 -- The famed Energizer Bunny "Hot Hare" Balloon -- the world's tallest hot air balloon -- will be among the many colorful participants in the ...
WORLD'S TALLEST BALLOON ENTERS IMS CENTENNIAL ERA BALLOON FEST
INDIANAPOLIS, Thursday, April 9, 2009 -- The famed Energizer Bunny "Hot Hare" Balloon -- the world's tallest hot air balloon -- will be among the many colorful participants in the Centennial Era Balloon Festival presented by AT&T Real Yellow Pages on May 1-3 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The "Hot Hare" likeness of the Energizer Bunny, which has been the star of entertaining Energizer Battery commercials since October 1989, stands at 175 feet when fully inflated -- 25 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty.
The balloon, along with many other colorful hot air balloons, will participate in a full weekend of activities as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway kicks off its Centennial Era celebration, honoring the founding and construction of the iconic Speedway in 1909.
The Centennial Era Balloon Festival presented by AT&T Real Yellow Pages will feature balloon "glows" open to the public Friday night, May 1 and Saturday night, May 2, plus balloon races Saturday morning, May 2 and Sunday morning, May 3.
It's an appropriate start to the Centennial Era, as a balloon event on June 5, 1909 was the first competitive event to take place at IMS.
"What better way to commemorate the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's 100th birthday than by celebrating its first event back in 1909," said Glo Kehoe, pilot of the Energizer Bunny balloon. "The Energizer 'Hot Hare' Balloon team is looking forward to participating in this historic event."
Some additional Energizer Bunny "Hot Hare" Balloon facts:
- Height of the ears: 60 feet (as tall as the presidents' faces on Mount Rushmore; the ears alone are the height of the average hot air balloon)
- Thread used to sew the balloon: 84 miles
- Head: 30 feet wide by 45 feet long
- Sandals: 60 feet long, 12 feet wide, four feet deep
- Shoe Size: The equivalent of 98 EEEEE
- Balloon volume: 180,000 cubic feet (could fit 550 million Energizer AA batteries)
- Balloon weight: 1,170 pounds (equivalent to 4,680 Energizer D batteries)
- Double propane burner output: 30 million BTU per hour (equivalent to 5,000 gas grills)
- Crew: 20 crew members required to facilitate safe inflation, takeoff and landing.
2009 IMS tickets: Established in 1909, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has long prevailed as an icon of motorsports excellence. Beginning in 2009, the Speedway celebrates its Centennial Era, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the facility in 2009 and the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race in 2011.
Tickets for the three events in 2009 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway -- the Indianapolis 500, Allstate 400 at the Brickyard and Red Bull Indianapolis GP -- can be purchased online at www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com at any time.
Tickets for groups of 20 or more also are on sale. Contact the IMS Group Sales Department at (866) 221-8775 for more information.