From: Mike Buckley <Arcamike@AOL.COM> Buckeroo Motorsports

Well, it isn't good news.

We pulled into the DuQuion mile to find that both turns had been lined with hay bales in the inside of the guard rail. It seemed to be the talk of the day, and continued to be during the race.

Practice went well for our team. I finally started cranking some respectable lap times (yes, on a dirt track). The car was comfortable, and we picked up some straitaway speed with our engine improvements from last week. I didn't push the car nearly as hard as I needed to during qualifying and we started 33rd on the grid.

Our problems started right away. A couple of the series regulars started beating and banging on the second lap of the race and 3 cars went into the wall (haybales in front of guardrail) in turn 1. Everyone in front of me checked up. I hit the guy in front of me, but we both recovered, then I was hit from behind which launched the car sideways towards the cars already in the wall. I hit one car with the rear quarter on the passenger side. This spun the car around backwards into the haybales and guardrail. The car ended up on top of the hay bails. The LF tire was flat and I couldn't see the rear spoiler. Thats because it, along with the rest of the deck lid went over the guard rail. A wrecker came out and lifted the rear end up, the track workers removed the hay bales, then I had them set the car back down and disconnect. I drove back to the pit where the LF tire was changed and the crew began bungie cording what was left of the rear quarters and bumper into the trunk area. We lost about 10 laps. At this point, the car only had body damage, the best was yet to come.

We continued on. I let everyone by. I didn't try racing with anyone, but kept out of the way and stayed low, and kept cranking laps. DuQouin is known for attrition and if we could make it towards the end of the race, we could pick up many spots. Some may have questioned why we kept going, but most that ask have never had to gain positions to pay the tire bill.

Anyhow, around lap 60, Tim Steele was lapping us in the middle of turns 1-2. As we exited turn two, he nailed the rear bumper and spun me towards the guard rail. I hit it sqaure and that finished off the rear clip. The crash bars did their job and the fuel cell looked like I hit a telephone pole. Not happy. The next ARCA race is scheduled for this Friday at Kil Kare.

We drove home Sunday night, got a little sleep, then began cutting off what was junk. There is nothing left behind the rear window that could be saved. We've rallied the troops, called in the fabricator, and shipped the car off to his shop. As off tonight (Wednesday) the rear frame has been replaced, the fuel cell brackets and tub installed. There won't be much sleeping this week. But Kil Kare is out there and we intend to be there. It might not be pretty on Friday, but it will be a race car.

Well, thats the story.... first major wreck in three years and it happens when there are two races scheduled with 5 days of each other. See ya on the other side of Friday (what day is it now?).....

Mike Buckley ARCA #48