Michelin Quick Facts - X-Factor Grand Prix of Sonoma July 20-22 (Sears Point Raceway) * Le Mans Momentum - Michelin comes to Sears Point having swept four of the top five finishing positions at Le Mans, including the victory with Audi....
Michelin Quick Facts - X-Factor Grand Prix of Sonoma
July 20-22 (Sears Point Raceway)
* Le Mans Momentum - Michelin comes to Sears Point having swept four of the top five finishing positions at Le Mans, including the victory with Audi. A total of 10 cars will be riding on Michelin tires at Sears Point, including the Le Mans-winning Audi team. Cadillac has switched to Michelin tires and will make its 2001 ALMS debut. While its all-new LMP07 undergoes further development, Panoz Motor Sports will enter a pair of Michelin-shod LMP-1 Roadsters. Champion Racing will fit Michelin tires on its Audi R8.
As the battle between Porsche and BMW heats up in the GT category, Michelin will be riding on the Porsches from Alex Job Racing and Peterson Motorsports as well as the BMWs from BMW Motorsport.
* Continued Development - Because racing is as much about innovation as it is about winning, Michelin engineers continue to further develop and refine the Pilot Sport AS racing radial. Based on what they learned last year at Sears Point, Michelin will provide new solutions (rubber compound and construction techniques) to its LMP900 teams (Audi, Cadillac, Panoz and Champion). Additionally, Michelin has developed an all-new rain tire that it will have at Sears Point...just in case.
* Last Year At Sears Point - In a dominating performance that began with a record qualifying effort, the Michelin-equipped Audi driven by Allan McNish and Rinaldo Capello lapped the entire field to score the victory. McNish recorded the fastest lap of the race while he and his co-driver led the entire race except while making pit stops. Audi teammates Emanuele Pirro and Frank Biela finished second. A Michelin-shod Viper and Porsche won the GTS and GT categories respectively.
* Handling A Priority- Because of the elevation changes as well as the tight, off-camber turns, handling is more critical than horsepower at Sears Point. A key component of having a car that handles well is tires. The tires must not only provide maximum grip in the corners and durability, but they must also be consistent so that the driver can always know exactly how hard he can push the car.
* Le Mans Stats - In all, Michelin cars led 314 of 320 laps, recorded the fastest race lap and had the pole. Michelin competed head-to-head with Avon, Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli and Yokohama at Le Mans. Michelin has now recorded four consecutive Le Mans wins, seven in the last 10 years.
* Michelin Leads ALMS Tire Championship - Michelin opened the 2001 American Le Mans Series with victories at Texas and the 12 Hours of Sebring and currently leads the ALMS Tire Championship with 55 points over Goodyear's 20 in the LMP900 category. Michelin has 55 points in the GT category, ahead of Yokohama (41), Goodyear (11) and Dunlop (10). Michelin is the defending ALMS Tire Champion in the LMP900, GTS and GT categories.
* Michelin manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles and the space shuttle. The company also publishes travel guides, maps and atlases covering Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelin.com) employs 26,500 and operates 23 plants in 19 locations.