30th Audi win in the American Le Mans Series. Johnny Herbert and JJ Lehto gave Audi their 30th overall win in an American Le Mans Series (ALMS) race. At Road America, the two former Formula 1 drivers scored their second victory of the season...
30th Audi win in the American Le Mans Series.
Johnny Herbert and JJ Lehto gave Audi their 30th overall win in an American Le Mans Series (ALMS) race. At Road America, the two former Formula 1 drivers scored their second victory of the season with Team ADT Champion Racing's Audi R8. Frank Biela and Marco Werner finished third in the LMP900 class after changing the starter motor of their Infineon Team Joest Audi R8. Biela/Werner are still the ALMS Championship leaders.
The race at a glance
- Weather: dry, warm
- Starting positions: 1 #1 Werner; 3 #38 Herbert
- Start: #1 Werner drops to second behind #16 Leitzinger, #38 Herbert third
- Lap 7: #1 Werner takes lead from #16 Leitzinger
- Lap 8: #38 Herbert also passed #16 Leitzinger, Audi 1-2 lead
- Lap 28: #1 Werner and #38 Herbert into the pits for the first scheduled stop at the same time. Engine of #1 Werner does not restart, starter motor needs to be changed, seven laps lost. During repairs, Werner hands over to Biela, fuel, tyres. #38 Herbert new leader
- Lap 34: Safety Car, #1 Biela rejoins the race in 30th position (6th in LMP 900), seven laps down
- Lap 36: #38 Herbert hands over to Lehto, fuel, tyres
- Lap 37: Restart
- Lap 49: #1 Biela moves to third in the LMP900 class
- Lap 65: #38 Lehto and #1 Biela refuel
- Finish: #38 Herbert/Lehto take their second victory of the season, #1 Biela/Werner 7th overall (third in LMP900 class)
- Fifth overall ALMS victory of the season for Audi
- 30th overall ALMS victory for Audi
- 2nd ALMS victory for Champion Racing, 8th for JJ Lehto, 3rd for Johnny Herbert
Quotes after the race
Johnny Herbert (Team ADT Champion Racing Audi R8 #38): "The pace of the car was very good. We made some good changes to the car since Mosport. It was important for us to win here, and thank God we have. We knew it would be close with the fuel, so I just stayed close to Marco (Werner) at the beginning of the race to save as much fuel as possible. I managed to do that. And after Joest had their problem, the race obviously was much easier for us."
Frank Biela (Infineon Team Joest Audi R8 #1): "It's a pity that the starter motor let us down. Marco did a great job during his stint. The car was great and had the potential to win the race. We had the fastest car today, also proved by my fastest race lap, but some bad luck. After changing the starter motor, I was able to do constantly fast lap times, despite always being on the safe side in traffic."
Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Sport): "Congratulations to both Audi teams. Champion did a faultless race and deserved the victory. Team Joest did a great job in the pits after the failure of the starter motor and showed a great fight back. The battle between our two customer teams remains exciting. But also MG Lola and Panoz were very competitive -- especially in the early stages of the race, which was really exciting."