Lowe's Fernandez Racing Prepares for Mosport Debut The American Le Mans Series (ALMS) heads to one of the fastest venues on the 2007 schedule this weekend with the Mobil 1 Presents Grand Prix of Mosport at the historic Mosport International ...
Lowe's Fernandez Racing Prepares for Mosport Debut
The American Le Mans Series (ALMS) heads to one of the fastest venues on the 2007 schedule this weekend with the Mobil 1 Presents Grand Prix of Mosport at the historic Mosport International Raceway. Located 60 miles east of Toronto in Bowmanville, Mosport was the first purpose-built road course in Canada. The circuit has played host to a variety of series since opening in 1961 including Formula One, USAC Stock Cars, Indy cars, CanAm, Trans-Am and IMSA.
Lowe's Fernandez Racing drivers Adrian Fernandez and Luis Diaz are preparing for their career debuts on the fast and flowing Mosport track. In preparation for this Sunday's 2-hour 45-minute race, the team concluded a two-day promoter test session yesterday (Tuesday) with the #15 Lowe's Acura Lola and will take part in an additional promoter test day on Friday prior to the start of official practice and qualifying on Saturday.
"It was a good two days and a help to us in becoming familiar with this track," said Tom Anderson, team co-owner and managing director. "There is one braking zone and the rest of the track is flat out and fast so times are extremely close. Qualifying will be interesting and important for the race. It has been unseasonably cold, windy and damp here but the forecast is better for the weekend."
Sunday's race will begin at 3:00 pm EST and will be carried live by the SPEED Channel. The race will re-air on Tuesday, August 28, at 12:00 pm EST on SPEED.
* Circuit -- 2.459-mile, 10-turn road course
* Sunday's ALMS race will be 2 hours 45 minutes (3:04 pm ET start)
* Driver changes: each driver must complete at least 10 laps and a driver may not drive more than two hours total in the race
* Both Fernandez and Diaz will be making their first career starts at
* Lowe's Fernandez Racing is participating in three promoter test days (August 20, 21 and 24) at Mosport prior to this weekend's race
* A first-year team in ALMS competition, Lowe's Fernandez Racing has claimed four top-five results to date -- second at Sebring, fourth at St. Petersburg, fifth at Salt Lake and third at Mid-Ohio
* Fernandez and Diaz are currently ranked sixth in the LMP2 point standings, only 20 points outside the top three
* Fernandez claimed his first major win in racing on Canadian soil at Toronto in 1996 [CART]
* Fernandez entered sports car competition in 2006 after a successful career at the top levels of open-wheel racing
* Diaz, voted "Driver of the Year" in Mexico in 2006, brings the most sports car racing experience to the team with eight wins in three years of Grand-Am competition
* Lowe's will be opening six to 10 stores around Toronto in 2007 with plans to expand to as many as 100 stores across Canada
FERNANDEZ ON MOSPORT TESTING: "It was a good two days. The weather has been cold, but things have gone well. We are pretty competitive here, like at Mid-Ohio, and expect a good race. We went through a lot of things during the test and we are in the ballpark of the other P2s. I think we may have been quickest [unofficially] on Tuesday afternoon with Luis driving. The track is nice. It is extremely fast, one of the fastest that I have driven. There are really just two corners that are not quick and the rest is really, really, really fast. It is a very demanding track but when tracks are this fast, it is a lot of fun for the drivers. In these cars you really enjoy the speed through the corners. We are looking good for the weekend and I think this could be an opportunity for us to put a strong result and, hopefully, win the race."
DIAZ ON MOSPORT: "This is one of the fastest tracks that I have ever been to and it was hard to get used to in the beginning because it is so, so fast. You have to respect this track a lot. I like it and I think we have made the correct changes so far with the car. We spent a lot of time on the track and found a good balance for the car and a good starting point for Friday. I think we look pretty competitive for this weekend."