BRASELTON, Ga. - Five prominent people within the American Le Mans Series have been nominated for the 2003 "From the Fans" award, and it is now up to fans of the series to determine who will receive the coveted award. The "From the Fans" award...
BRASELTON, Ga. - Five prominent people within the American Le Mans Series have been nominated for the 2003 "From the Fans" award, and it is now up to fans of the series to determine who will receive the coveted award.
The "From the Fans" award is presented each year to a person or group who is felt by fans of the series to have made the greatest contribution to sports car racing over the past year. Among former recipients are Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich of Audi Sport, Gary Claudio of General Motors and Dr. Don Panoz, Founder of the American Le Mans Series. Drivers are not eligible to receive the "From the Fans" award.
Voting for the "From the Fans" award is done in two segments. The first round ran until October 3 and was for nominations only, with the top five nominees then listed on a ballot for a second round of voting. Voting is conducted on the official website of the American Le Mans Series at www.americanlemans.com and will continue through the end of the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta on Oct. 18.
The recipient will be announced during the series awards banquet on Oct. 19 .
The 2003 finalists for the American Le Mans Series "From the Fans" award are as follows:
* FREDERIC DOR - Dor is the owner of the Prodrive Ferraris that have competed in the American Le Mans Series in 2003 under Dor's Care Racing Development banner. The Ferrari vs. Corvette battle in the GTS class has produced some of the most exciting racing of the season.
* ROB DYSON - The owner of the Dyson Racing Team, Dyson has spearheaded the competitive development of the Lola EX257-MG, his being the first car from the LMP 675 class to ever beat cars from the LMP 900 class and win an American Le Mans Series race overall.
* JOHN HINDHAUGH - The lead announcer for the American Le Mans Series Radio Web since its inception, Hindhaugh has helped create many new fans for the ALMS with his exciting and informative play-by-play calls of racing action. The Radio Web can be heard by anyone around the world with access to the internet.
* ALEX JOB - The owner of Alex Job Racing, Job has fielded a pair of Porsche 911 GT3 RS machines in the GT class of the ALMS since the formation of the series. In 2003, Job's team has won the GT class in seven of the eight ALMS races, as well as the team title and driving titles for Lucas Luhr and Sascha Maassen.
* DAVE MARAJ - The owner of the ADT Champion Racing Audi R8 team, Maraj has built a first-class private racing organization that has taken the fight to the juggernaut teams of sports car racing and has brought such world-class drivers as Johnny Herbert and JJ Lehto to the series in a competitive ride.
Fans wishing to vote will find a "From the Fans" icon on the home page of www.americanlemans.com. The icon will take them to an electronic ballot for voting.