Last year's Bathurst winner Greg Murphy is set to join Mark Noske in the third Panoz LMP-1 prototype car at the Race of a Thousand Years. Murphy has been called in to replace Craig Lowndes who has run into contract difficulties with his V8 Supercar team and has been denied permission to compete in Adelaide.
Murphy will defend his Bathurst crown this weekend before flying to the U.S. to test the Panoz at Sebring in Florida with Noske. Lowndes will contest his final race for the Holden Racing Team this weekend at Bathurst and remains hopeful of receiving a last minute reprieve to join Murphy and Noske in the third Panoz car.
- There are a host of former Grand Prix stars who are no strangers to the streets of Adelaide who will be competing on new year¹s eve including Brabham, Emanuele Pirro, Eric Bernard and Karl Wendlinger.
- Other exciting on-track action will include award-winning stunt motorcyclists Rob Jones and Englishman Chris Jones and an on-track parade from the official Porsche factory museum in Germany featuring two actual Le Mans 24-Hour winning cars.
- The skies above will feature aerobatics ace Pip Bormann aboard a Edge mono-plane while a huge fairground including carnival rides will also be established for the event.
- A huge fireworks display will also welcome in the New Year and plans for a fashion extravaganza are expected to be announced soon.
- Support races will include The Sebring Cup (classic 60s sportscars), Sports Sedans, the Grand Touring Challenge for production cars and the unique Le Mans Series Pro-Am for VW Beetles
- Race fans can purchase a Beetle for little more than the cost of the car and get to race it with one of the stars of motorsport including David Brabham, Hans Stuck and SA's own Le Mans 24 Hour winner, Vern Schuppan.
- The Le Mans Series championship features the stars and cars which annually contest the Le Mans 24 Hour sportscar race in France - the world's most famous motor race. While Le Mans itself is the highlight of the year - it does not count towards the points championship.
- Le Mans style racing features three different classes competing in the one race, Prototypes (Panoz, Audi, BMW, Cadillac), GTS (Dodge Viper, Corvette, Porsche) and the production based GT class (BMW and Porsche)
- Adelaide has received enormous international exposure with the distinctive "Adelaide Race of a Thousand Years" logo adorning the nose of the two Panoz cars contesting the Le Mans Series Championship.
- The Adelaide event will receive television exposure to 200 million homes throughout Europe and 120 million homes in the U.S.
- Adelaide has been selected as one of only three races across the globe where the winners in the three classes (Prototype, GTS and GT) gain automatic entry into next year¹s Le Mans 24 Hour race.
- Brass bands, magicians, face painters, stilt walkers, jugglers, performing clowns and balloon sculptors will add a unique carnival atmosphere throughout the Adelaide event.
Paul Ryan email@example.com www.lemansadelaide.com.au