Telmex staying at Sauber after Perez switch

331 views

Oct.5 (GMM) Telmex will continue to sponsor Sauber, despite the Swiss team losing Mexican Sergio Perez to McLaren.

Perez made his debut with the Hinwil based team last year with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim's backing, primarily through the telcom Telmex's branding.

Sergio Perez, Sauber F1 Team
Sergio Perez, Sauber F1 Team

Photo by: xpb.cc

So the 22-year-old's switch to McLaren for 2013 had triggered rumours the British team also wanted Telmex to replace its reportedly flagging title sponsor Vodafone.

But Telmex is staying with Sauber, chief executive Monisha Kaltenborn announced on Friday, sparking immediate rumours the brand might push for its other Mexican charge - 21-year-old Esteban Gutierrez - to replace Perez.

Referring to Perez's switch, Kaltenborn said at Suzuka: "We were informed by Telmex about this change and Telmex also told us that they have a long-term project with Sauber which will not be affected by Sergio leaving the team."

Sauber's other driver, Kamui Kobayashi, admitted on Thursday that his future is unclear at present.

"I have no idea," said the Japanese when asked about his future.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Article type Breaking news
Tags f1, gmm, gutierrez, kaltenborn, kobayashi, perez, sauber, telmex

User photos

Rustyn90

Rustyn90

179 photos
EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

27 photos
gary8444

gary8444

2 photos
EricDebris

EricDebris

585 photos
Evan_DeCiren
WRC

Evan_DeCiren

2 photos
Fleury

Fleury

20 photos
Paul_Krugman

Paul_Krugman

70 photos
Robtitaan

Robtitaan

2 photos
Upload photo